Special Educational Needs



Miss M Hambidge

Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENDCo)


Miss Hambidge is the schools Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo). Miss Hambidge is responsible for coordinating all the specific provision that is put in place to support mainstream pupils with Special Education Needs and Disabilities (SEND).

Miss Hambidge is also responsible for:

  • Writing and implementing the Special Education Needs Policy.
  • Working with class teachers and teaching assistants to monitor pupil's progress.
  • Coordinating a range of interventions to support children’s needs.
  • Where appropriate, implementing personal plans for individual children which are reviewed termly with parents.
  • Liaising with a range of outside agencies who can give us more specialised advice and support.
  • Writing applications for additional support and Educational and Health Care Plan needs assessment referrals.

She can be contacted via the school office on 01246 232425 or the SEND email address: senco@abercrombie.derbyshire.sch.uk

Special Educational Needs at Abercrombie

At the heart of the work of Abercrombie Primary School, is a continuous cycle of planning, teaching and assessment which takes account of the wide range of abilities and interests of the children. The majority of children will learn and progress within these arrangements. Those children whose overall attainment and achievement in specific subjects fall significantly outside the expected range may have Special Educational Needs (SEN) or a Disability.

At Abercrombie Primary School, we provide a broad and balanced curriculum for all pupils based on three principles:

  • setting suitable learning challenges;
  • responding to pupils’ diverse learning needs;
  • overcoming potential barriers to learning.

Children have Special Educational Needs if they have a learning difficulty which calls for special educational provision to be made for them.

Children have a learning difficulty if they:

  • have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of children of the same age;
  • have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for children of the same age. This may relate to impairments in communication and interaction, cognition and learning, behavioural, emotional and social development, or sensory or physical needs.

Special educational provision is that which is additional to or different from the educational provision made generally for children of their age.

Our SEN Policy details how we aim to ensure that the necessary provision is made for any pupil who has SEN and those needs are made known to all staff who are likely to work with them through the use of our whole school provision map and Individual Educational Plans (IEPs).

Policies and Practice

   SEND Policy

   Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Information Report 

   (A user-friendly guide for parents and carers about SEN at Abercrombie)



   Accessibility Plan



Positive Play

The Positive Playroom is called 'The Rainbow Room'.  



Our 'Rainbow Room' offers a safe and calm space where pupils can express their feelings and talk about their difficulties during a 1:1 session with one of our trained Positive Play support workers.

We value each individual and aim to help them feel special, feel good about themselves and recognise their own strengths. Pupils are supported to develop their social skills, life skills and self-esteem.

Useful Contacts and Points of Information

If you have any concerns about any SEND matter or would like any further information, please don’t hesitate to contact Miss Hambidge via the school office on 01246 232425 or the SEND email address: senco@abercrombie.derbyshire.sch.uk

Parents can also access information on provision in Derbyshire for young people and families with SEND through The Local Offer. Please click on the link to access this website. Derbyshire Local Offer

Frequently Asked Questions 

What is SEND?

A child with SEND has needs that are different from and/or additional to their classmates.

There are 4 broad areas of SEND:

  1. Communication and Interaction - This area of need includes children with Autism Spectrum Condition and those with Speech, Language and Communication Needs.
  2. Cognition and Learning - This includes children with Specific Learning Difficulties, Moderate Learning Difficulties, Severe Learning Difficulties and Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties.
  3. Social, Emotional and Mental Health - This includes any pupils who have an emotional, social or mental health need that is impacting on their ability to learn.
  4. Sensory and/or Physical Difficulties - This area includes children with hearing impairment, visual impairment, multi-sensory impairment and physical difficulties. 

How are children with SEND identified and supported?

All pupils’ progress and attainment is monitored on a termly basis by class teachers. Where a child is making less than expected progress their needs will be met through interventions and tracked through the whole school provision map. Where children are still not making progress, an IEP will be devised, and the support of outside agencies will be considered. Children will receive individualised support based on their specific learning needs and their progress will be closely monitored.

What should a parent do if they think their child has SEND?

If a parent has concerns about their child, they can contact the following: their child’s class teacher, the SENCO, or the Deputy Headteacher or Headteacher.


What different types of support are available for children with SEND?

There is a range of support available that school can offer a child with SEND. These include:

  • Teaching Assistant Support
  • Specialist Resources
  • A full range of interventions
  • Positive Play
  • Focused learning groups
  • Interventions from Outside Agencies 

Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND in school?

Most frequently used outside agencies are:

  • School Support Service for Special Educational Needs (SSSEN)
  • Educational Psychologist
  • Speech and Language
  • Behaviour Support
  • Autism Outreach

For more information on these services and others, see The Local Offer website which can be accessed by clicking on the link below.


How are parents involved in discussions and planning for a child with SEND?

For children with SEND and who are identified on the school’s register, there will be three Individual Educational Plan (IEP) review meetings each year. For a child who is in receipt of ETAEYS/GRIP an additional review will be held when funding is due to cease. For a child who has an Education and Health Care Plan, there will be a yearly Annual Review (every six months if they are in Foundation Stage).


How are children supported in order to access activities outside the classroom?

We aim for all children, regardless of need or ability to access all activities that take place outside of the classroom such as:

  • Forest Schools
  • Educational visits
  • Residentials
  • Sports activities
  • School celebrations
  • Social events

For More Information

More information about the new SEND code of practice and Special Educational Needs can be found on the links below:

Derbyshire Local offer
Derbyshire Information, Advice and Support Service for SEND
SEND Code of practice