Abercrombie Primary School and Nursery
Our School History
Abercrombie School first opened to pupils, on its old site, on 27th August 1873. The old school site was situated in between Victoria Street and St. Helen’s Street. There were then two schools; one for boys and the other for girls, until the schools were joined together to become mixed in 1931. The school then had 313 juniors and 173 infants. Today there are 220 in the main school and 52 part-time pupils in the nursery. Some parents and grandparents may know us as St. Helen’s Street School. The name was changed to Abercrombie to avoid confusion with the Girl’s High School when it adopted the name St. Helena.
Our new school buildings opened in September 2009. Our school has 7 classes plus the nursery. The school is now situated on Higher Albert Street, 400 metres from the old school site. Below are a few photographs of our old and new school buildings and facilities.