Bad Weather Procedures
When it Snows...
On rare occasions, particularly in winter, the weather can be so severe that getting to and from school becomes hazardous.
Bad weather by its nature is disruptive and can cause anxiety and stress. Understandably, many parents ring the school if snow starts falling heavily. It can be frustrating trying to get through when all our outside lines are engaged by other parents calling for the same reason! Jammed lines and answering queries can in turn delay office staff.
Decisions about closing the school or sending pupils home early are always difficult to make. We need to gather reliable information before making a judgment. We check weather reports, get advice from the bus companies, speak to other local schools and try to assess what is happening elsewhere in the area.
Here is our advice to you on what to do:
- If there is severe weather overnight
- If the weather deteriorates
SEVERE WEATHER OVERNIGHT
If the school has to be closed, a message will be sent to parents via our school app and Facebook page. A message will also be put on our school website.
If any pupil arrives at school unaware of the closure, a member of staff will be there to help. Pupils may phone parents without charge to decide whether they should return home or wait to be collected.
- The school will be closed early only in extreme cases.
- The closure may be staggered.
- The decision to close the school will be made by the Headteacher and senior colleagues after consulting the bus companies and other local schools . The Chair of Governors will be informed if he is available.
- Decisions about early closure will be communicated to staff and pupils as soon as this is appropriate.
- Pupils who use school buses will be told of any change to normal routes if this occurs so they can decide the best way home.
- Pupils being collected from school or with other arrangements will be allowed to phone home for advice on what to do.
- Pupils who can walk home will be sent preferably in family groups or in the company of other pupils who live near each other.
- School will be kept open with staff on hand until the last pupil has left.
- It is not normally possible for pupils to be given lifts by staff.
How Parents/Carers Can Help...
Keep an eye on our school website, school app and school Facebook. Assume school is open if you do not receive a message via the website/app. Plan ahead with your child what to do in a bad weather emergency.
Only call the school if you really have to - calls in prevent calls out!